Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Detroit Suburbs, Michigan

Warning: This post will be flooded with pictures of my family (like this precious picture of my 90 year-old Granny sticking her tongue out with me instead of taking a picture with me). 
My southern, sassy granny
Detroit has such a bad wrap because of all of the foreclosures and bankruptcy. Most people don't even know that on the outskirts of the city are these precious little towns full of great restaurants and things to do. There are so many places that we love in the suburbs of Detroit and I will tell you about each of those in between my obnoxious amounts of pictures of my family (Sorry, not sorry).

Cousins
Some smaller suburb areas that you may want to check out right outside Detroit: Grosse Pointe, St. Clair Shores, Rochester Hills, and Warren.

Like I said before, most of my time is spent visiting my relatives, but when I do get out, I love all of the outdoor activities and yummy restaurants that the suburbs have to offer. Below I will share some of them with you, in case you're ever around the area :)
Twins? Or just sisters?
Park Day with my Grandparents before we headed home

Favorite Restaurants:
  • National Coney Island: hot dogs and "hanis" (pita bread tacos)
  • Original Pancake House: waffles, pancakes, french toast, crepes, eggs & omelets 
  • East Detroit Bakery: donuts & pastries, cakes, cookies & sweets all extremely well priced
  • Country Dairy: Ice Cream (try the flavor burst cone -- raspberry is my personal fav)
  • Sanders: some of the best chocolates and ice cream sundaes 
  • El Charo: Mexican food; home of the puffy taco
  • Chicken Shack: fried chicken and french fries; buildings are as it sounds -- shack(ish)

Things to Do:
  • Eastern Market: Saturday morning farmers markets (and one of the biggest ones around) in downtown Detroit
  • Comerica Park: see the Tigers play
  • Belle Isle: visit the Zoo, Aquarium, Athletic Fields, Park, Slide, Beach, Lighthouse & Concessions
  • Walk the Detroit Riverfront
  • Stop by Nino Salvaggio's International Marketplace for some really fresh produce and great marketplace specials
  • Great Skate: indoor roller rink in Roseville
  • Make the drive to visit Frankenmuth (you won't be disappointed with this slice of Bavaria)

Although Michigan always holds less of my typical adventures, it is always fun to explore new parts of the city and spend quality time with family.

Stay safe,
Hilary


SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment